NPOs: Advantages & Disadvantages
Advantages of starting a non-profit organization
- Most of the income of a non-profit is exempt from income taxes.
- The contribution from a donor is also tax exempt in most of the cases.
- A non profit organization can receive grants or aid in contrast to business entities that have to use loans as a means of raising funds.
- The satisfaction at being able to contribute to social development is immense.
Disadvantages of starting a non-profit organization
- Non-profit organizations are subject to stricter reporting requirements.
- Benefits arising out of the nonprofit organization cannot be inured for the personal benefit of its members, directors, officers beyond a permissible limit.
- Getting grants is a tedious job.
- In case, the incorporators decide to move onto some other pursuits in life, they cannot take along the assets accumulated by the non profit organization.
People who read this also read: